Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
[email protected] websurf1@cox.net is offline

Default How much cordless drill do you need for drywall?

On Mar 19, 3:49 pm, Doc wrote:
Issue 1

Harbor Freighr had a number of cordless drills that were inexpensive,
but I noticed many had no amp rating listed on the box. Even though
they were 18 and 19 v, the drill bodies seemed small, which I assume
in indicative of a small, low powered motor and the fact that the amps
aren't listed anywhere on the drill or the owners manual probably
isn't an accident.

Since I was in a hurry I picked up a corded 4.2 amp Chicago electric
drywall screwdriver - I'm guessing a Harbor Freight store brand? - by
its shape it loos to have a reduction gear assembly for increasing
torque.

Out of curiosity, how much cordless drill do you feel is enough to do
drywall? Not going to be doing it daily/commercially, at the moment
have a couple of walls that need drywalling. I built a sound booth out
of 2x4's, drywall and R-13 insulation using a B&D 4.5 amp 1350 RPM
corded drill I got at a pawn shop and got a drywall attachment from
Home Depot. Seemed to have more than enough power. I've never owned a
cordless so I don't know how the specs translate compared to a corded
drill.

Issue 2

The reason I went on a quest for another drill is that the
aforementioned B&D 4.5 Amp drill has gotten to where it only wanta to
run when the drill is held at a certain rotation, typically with the
handle parallel to the floor. I took it apart to see if there was
anything obvious broken or out of place, I pulled the center armature
section apart from the rest of it. What I noticed were sections where
the armature has what look like wear marks.

Any theories on why the drill is behaving this way and what bearing
the worn spots might have? I assume this isn't a drill that's worth
sinking a lot of time into to fix.

Thanks for all info.

If the armature has wear marks, I'll guess that the bearings for the
shaft are worn and allowed the armature to wobble into the coils.
B&D is probably no longer worth repairing, unless you like to do that
sort of thing, which I do. The bearings are likely available on-line.

According to folks I talk to, tools that are still good are Milwaukee,
Makita, and Porter-Cable.