Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand Mark Rand is offline

Default The Brits are utterly Daft....

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 18:22:42 +0000, Mike wrote:

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 13:06:12 -0700, Gunner
wrote:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...icle900459.ece

The rot set in a few years ago in the UK when all the extinguishers in
issue were changed from very easy to identify colours to a uniform
"fire extinguisher" red.

Previously we had the following very logical colour code.

Red - Water
Blue - Dry Powder
Beige - Foam
Black - CO2
Green - Halon

Also at the time of the colour change all extinguishers were moved
from sensible locations adjacent to the hazard to a location adjacent
to an exit.

In addition the guidelines were rewritten on evacuation and
firefighting procedures meaning that fire extinguishers should only be
used to assist your escape.

So, in the case of a fire, you have to do the following

1) Shout FIRE

2) Go to your nearest exit, briefly look at all the pretty red
extinguishers and decide from the printed label which one is
suitable.....and because you are not supposed to return to a fire, you
leave the building

3) On the way out sound the alarm

4) Assemble at the designated point and let the fire destroy the
building.

P.S. I'm not joking about the above.

Now be fair. We have a plan for a bucket brigade for the case when a fire
breaks out at work. From the diesel tanks!

BEG

Mark Rand
RTFM