Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson Brian Lawson is offline

Default OT Amtrak from IL to CA (Bay Area)

Hey Iggy,

Lots of fun for both Dad and the young'un on a train. Day coach or
sleeper, or rich guy compartment, all are intriguing.

Seems to me I checked into a similar trip a few years back now. Maybe
10 - 15 years ago ??? Time flies!!. Never did it though, but I
recall something that might interest you.

You should check whether the train from Chicago goes south thru
Flagstaff, or even Phoenix. There is a "scenic railway" that runs
north from Williams (about 30 miles west of Flagstaff), and it goes to
the Grand Canyon. Not too sure if it was daily, or just seasonal. As
I recall, you can book the Amtrak with a one or two day layover that
lets you visit the Grand Canyon. Even go up by bus if you can't do
otherwise. If you rent a car and drive up, there's an interesting
airport museum that you both might like at the junction of Hwy 64 and
180, at Valle. Not too big...maybe an hours sees it all. It's about
1/2 hour south of the Canyon, and you can get sight-seeing rides in
fixed wing or helicopters from there.

Take the train out there while he's all keen and excited, and fly home
from California when he wants to see Mom.

Good on you doing the trip with young Iggy. I recall trips I took
with my Dad when I was his age and a bit older, and that was 60 years
ago!!!

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 11:23:58 -0500, Ignoramus30927
wrote:

Amtrak is made from metal. So there is some relevance. Anyway. My 6
year old wants to ride Amtrak from IL to CA (Chicago to Emeryville
CA) in summer.

I first dismissed the idea, but now I like it. I doubt that Amtrak
will be around for much longer, and 7 (he will be 7 by summer) is old
enough to remember, so perhaps this ride would be a memorable
experience. he may not have a chance to do it when he grows up.

My question is, has anyone tried something like this, is there enough
we can do on the train to keep this 54 hour ride interesting?