Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Adding a 2-wire receptacle with 12/2 wire

On Mar 19, 9:41*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Mar 18, 10:43*pm, "BETA-33" wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message

.net...

Check to see if the original metal box is grounded. The cheap little
plug in testers will do the job.

I'll do that.

Depending on the age of the house you
might have the early romex with ground and the metal boxes are grounded,
but ungrounded receptacles were used. If that's the case you can convert
to grounded receptacles with relative ease.

I am not looking to convert to grounded outlets right now. *For now, I just
want to add one receptacle. * It can be a 2-wire like all of the rest of the
receptacles as far as I am concerned, but that leaves me with the question
of what to do with the bare wire in the 12/2.

that leaves me with the question of what to do with the bare wire
in the 12/2

Well, the *easy* answer is to simply attach it to each metal box. If
the circuit is grounded, your new recetacle will be grounded. If it
isn't, no harm, no foul.- Hide quoted text -

My apologies for this suggestion. I stand corrected.