Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Jeffrey Lebowski[_2_] Jeffrey Lebowski[_2_] is offline

Default Most efficient water heater?

"ransley" wrote in message
On Mar 17, 10:33 pm, Don Ocean wrote:
ransley wrote:
On Mar 16, 9:35 pm, " wrote:
On Mar 16, 8:36?pm, ransley wrote:

On Mar 16, 7:27?pm, Don Wiss wrote:
I'd like to switch to a direct vent water heater. Looking at the A.O.

Smith
site I get confused with all the models. Efficiency information is

hidden.
There is no convenient chart to distinguish the models. It would seem

that
these are my choice:
ProMax Closed Combustion Power Direct-Vent
ProMax Power Vent (C3 FVIR)
Power House Sealed Shot Power Direct-Vent
Power House Power Shot Power-Vent
But I can't figure out what is different. Plus each of the above has
variants.
So, what is the most efficient 50 gallon tank water heater with the

longest
tank warranty? The run would be about 40 feet and will have a bunch

of 90
degree bends.
Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Most efficent is tankless since efficency is misleading, the Energy
Factor is what has the most meaning in water heaters , gas tanks of
regular vent and 80+% efficency are around 50-60 energy factor, i dont
know about direct vent though, tankless start around 80 energy

factor.- Hide quoted text -
tankless have lots of downsides, from delay when you fiorst draw water
till heated water arrives, to poor operation at low flow levels.

standard tanks actually have very low standby losses, just got touch
your tank hot hot is it?

current hoigh efficency condensing tanks are over 90% efficent. that
should be enough for anyone- Hide quoted text -

Hallerb , have you used a tankless, no I will bet not, you put them
down because you cant afford one and have never used one. The delay
in hot water arriving might be 5 seconds longer than a tank since it
fires in seconds. 90 % efficent , yea the burner is, so how can you
explain 50-60% Energy Factor on tanks and 83-90 on Tankless. As I said
thats more of a true efficency rating, so what if the tank isnt hot,
what do you think goes up the middle of the tank and out the chimney,
heat!

A tankless heater is expensive..Its expensive and fairly complicated to
hook one up.. It has somewhere in the region of a 300,000 BTUH burner/or
elements. It is expensive to repair.. And its lifespan is about the same
as a good standard tank heater. Also a Gas Tankless will not operate
without Electricity. When we lose electric..That means the furnace will
not run.. So we depend on a free standing water heater to save the
house. Fill the sinks and tubs with hot water and redo when it cools
off. Also run Gas range and oven. If we lose NGas, it isn't much of a
problem to do a fast changeover to propane or butane. Generators are a
pain in the ass and most families don't have one or at least a properly
maintained generator . A standard tank water heater is somewhere in the
vicinity of being a 40,000 furnace. I have tracked Tankless changeover
operating costs and despite the wild claims of much cheaper.. not so...
In the average family home of 3-1/2 people using hot water normally it
comes pretty close to being the same and without all the complications
fronted by the Tankless folks. The ones I have tracked are Rinnai and
GE. Anyone else had experience with these units. Do keep in mind that
the ones that save a great deal of money are the old European ones..
Very simple and needs no logic or electric ignition system.. Shower time
must be very short. They also use them for hydroponic heat of smaller
homes. I had a German made one(Made in 1949) in a 890 sq ft well
insulated house. It had a ceramic heated exchanger and was replaced in
1994 as no repair parts were available. It furnished heat and hot
water..It hung on the basement wall and looked much like a white
outboard motor with no drive shaft. That little heater never exceeded
$50 a month. Keep in mind you cannot sell that in America.. ****ing
people take their surf board to shower in this country and make a day of

it.

text -

A 117000 btu Bosch battery ignition needs no AC electric and vents up
a chimney. It wont do 2 showers with 40 f incoming but is maybe 500
with tax. I have the 117000 Bosch C cell Battery ignition unit im
happy. Yes savings are less with a large family but I am getting a
maybe 4-5 yr payback from electric tank

Yeah your doing so well thinking everyone is so proud of how ****ing
effeciently you contribute to the carbon foot print, appreciate do us one
last favor and quit breathing--one less dickwad converting oxygen into CO2.