Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Adding a 2-wire receptacle with 12/2 wire

On Mar 18, 9:46*pm, "BETA-33" wrote:
I have a house with 2-wire receptacles. *From one of the 2-wire receptacles,
I want to run a line to a new 2-wire receptacle that I am adding. *The wire
I have to run the line is 12/2.

The question I have is, "What do I do with the bare ground wire in the 12/2
wire?"

The original 2-wire receptacle box and the new 2-wire receptacle box are
metal. *I am assuming that I should NOT connect the bare ground wire to the
metal box on either end.

Is that correct, or am I supposed to attach the bare ground wire to each
metal receptacle box even though I don't know if either box is grounded?

Thanks.

Interesting situation.

Ideally, you would like to follow the info given in the *second* Q2 at
this site:

http://www.mikeholt.com/mojonewsarch...s~20050510.php

You can replace the first outlet with a GFCI receptacle and then
replace the downstream outlets with 3 pronged outlets, You won't gain
an equipment ground, but you will gain protection for the users as
well as the convenience of being able to plug in three prong cords
without an adaptor. If the circuit isn't grounded, you shouldn't being
using an adaptor anyway.

However, as noted at that site, the permission to use 3 pronged
receptacles on an ungrounded circuit applies to existing receptacles
only, not to new (branch-circuit extention) receptacles.

Feel free to use that information as you see fit.