Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default The Brits are utterly Daft....

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 02:10:46 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:59:24 -0600, Lew Hartswick
wrote:

cavelamb himself wrote:

Lew Hartswick wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 13:06:12 -0700, Gunner
wrote:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...icle900459.ece
Meanwhile, last I looked anyway, regulations required a fire
extinguisher every 25 feet in a slate mine in Wales. I've never seen
slate ignited, but it must be nasty!
Slate : Metamorphosed shale. ie. clay just how hot would it
have to be to be ignited? Wonder what is flamable in a
slate mine?
...lew...
Also Dust...

Almost any dust is explosive when the mixture is right.
But the original was about a fire extinguisher every 25 ft
and I don't see how those would be of any benefit for a
dust explosion.
...lew...(lets remember the original post in the thread)

Im not sure that rock dust IS flammable.

Anyone?

Gunner

I think it depends on the rock type. Coal dust will blow easily.
Graphite dust will as well. Basically it has to have a carbon content
high enough to allow it to oxidize. Or be an oxidizing compound in
itself. However even though they won't burn rapidly they can still melt.
Think lava...

So granite or shale (not oil shale) dust wont burn?

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner