Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_2_] Steve W.[_2_] is offline

Default The Brits are utterly Daft....

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:59:24 -0600, Lew Hartswick
wrote:

cavelamb himself wrote:

Lew Hartswick wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 13:06:12 -0700, Gunner
wrote:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...icle900459.ece
Meanwhile, last I looked anyway, regulations required a fire
extinguisher every 25 feet in a slate mine in Wales. I've never seen
slate ignited, but it must be nasty!
Slate : Metamorphosed shale. ie. clay just how hot would it
have to be to be ignited? Wonder what is flamable in a
slate mine?
...lew...
Also Dust...

Almost any dust is explosive when the mixture is right.

But the original was about a fire extinguisher every 25 ft
and I don't see how those would be of any benefit for a
dust explosion.
...lew...(lets remember the original post in the thread)

Im not sure that rock dust IS flammable.

Anyone?

Gunner

I think it depends on the rock type. Coal dust will blow easily.
Graphite dust will as well. Basically it has to have a carbon content
high enough to allow it to oxidize. Or be an oxidizing compound in
itself. However even though they won't burn rapidly they can still melt.
Think lava...

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Life is not like a box of chocolates
it's more like a jar of jalapenos-
what you do today could burn your ass tomorrow!