Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default Gloat!

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 21:47:03 GMT, "Greg O"
wrote:

Snagged a good deal from work the other day. We were stripping out a
building and there was a 10 HP 208/240 volt VFD hanging on the wall. The
boss said it was junk, so it followed me home. We installed it 8 years ago,
and it has run 24/7 since then with no problems. I hooked it up to 240
single phase and set it up to run 208 volt/3 phase out. I also scored a 208
volt/3 phase 1-1/2 HP motor for my drill press, again free. I got it all
just cobbled together at this point to see if/how it works. This VFD uses a
5K ohm pot for speed control, got one and hooked it up, works good. It is
plenty large so it will run all I will ever give it.
On a side note, there were two VFD's to be torn out of the building. One of
the guys I work with grabbed to VFD#1 first, without asking the boss if it
was junk or not. When I asked about the VFD#2 he said that we had use for
the VFD#1, but just toss VFD#2. Being a nice guy I asked the other tech if
he wanted VFD#2, because I was sure they wanted to save the one he took. He
said no, so I got it! He was talking the the boss the other day and was
asked about "his" VFD#1, and was told to get it back to the shop! The funny
thing was is he brought the VFD back and then went out and bought a brand
new one from a local wholesaler! He could of had "mine" for free!
Greg

Ask and ye shall receive, don't ask and you better get it the hell
back here!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada