Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Don Ocean Don Ocean is offline

Default Most efficient water heater?

S. Barker wrote:
I'll put them down. AND I CAN afford them. All i have to do is ask you
what is the maximum temperature of your hot water in the winter, when the
incoming water is about 39 degrees? There, the argument is over. There's
NO WAY you can get 140 degree water from 39 degree input with a tankless.
And you can't wash dishes properly with 98 degree water. Hell, I'll bet
with 39 degree input, you can't even take a decent hot shower with all hot
and no cold on.

Yes you can get 140ºF water... But is has to be on full burn between
300,000Btuh and 450,000 BTUH and your not saving a damned thing on
energy. One of the best savers for scheduled families is a super
insulated electric water heater with a brooder house timer allowing it
to run 1/2 hour in the morning and 1/2 hour in the evening. I am talking
about 1 full foot of foam encapsulation even on the bottom. These were
experimented with back in the 1980's and worked just fine. Of course you
could paint some 55 gallon drums of water black and set them out in the
sun. ;-p

steve

"ransley" wrote in message

Hallerb , have you used a tankless, no I will bet not, you put them
down because you cant afford one and have never used one. The delay
in hot water arriving might be 5 seconds longer than a tank since it
fires in seconds. 90 % efficent , yea the burner is, so how can you
explain 50-60% Energy Factor on tanks and 83-90 on Tankless. As I said
thats more of a true efficency rating, so what if the tank isnt hot,
what do you think goes up the middle of the tank and out the chimney,
heat!