Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flat screen tv stand issue

"SBH" wrote in message

There are three baseboard heaters on three separate walls of the basement.
On one wall, at one end of the basement lies one of the baseboard which is
13" in height, 54" in length and 5" width from the wall. I would like to
put a new flat screen 52" LCD TV at this end and using a stand would have
to be in front of the heater and extended from the wall, which is not
appealing to me. Therefore, I would really like to mount it on the wall,
but I'm not sure I should rely on the assumption of the supported 2 x 2
studs behind the paneling.

Now the obvious question. Do you think it's fairly safe to mount on the
wall?

Couple of thoughts.

It is a big TV and will hide a big opening in the wall should you decide to
cut a hole to investigate. Considering the $$$ you have hanging, I'd
certainly want to investigate more.

My next thought it to mount the TV on the wall, but put two braces to the
floor to take the weight. By doing that, the wall bracket is essentially
just keeping it from tipping forward.

Unless I was positive how the wall was built I'd not hang a couple of
thousand breakable bucks on the wall.