Posted to alt.home.repair
The Streets The Streets is offline

Default Bob Vila & This old house

"aemeijers" wrote in message
bob kater wrote:
(snip)
Not always, I agree they do too many high-priced projects but they also
tackle more modest homes, it seems like a 50-50 split to me. They're
currently doing a shotgun single in New Orleans, last year they did a
low-rent townhouse in Philly (?) and a reasonable house in Austin and
that two-owner house in Boston, none of those struck me as mansions. My
impression is they do one over-the-top home each season. I agree the
ATOH feature is of particular use to the average homeowner. And
regardless of what the the total cost of the job is, the ideas and skill
you can pick up watching them do the work are always useful.

I love watching Norm Abrams and Tom Silva work- Norm's other show
(presumably why he was not included in ATOH) is a little silly with the
$100k of machinist-quality woodworking tools, but they are both clearly
expert carpenters. I saw enough good and bad carpenters growing up in the
business to know the difference, and I'd hire either of them in a
heartbeat, if I was rich enough to afford them. From all published
reports, they are also nice guys with no ego problems, which is a plus.
Not at all prima donnas like the original host. You never saw Vila with
sweaty armpits.

For laughs, I still love the TOH episode where Bob Vila is grabbing
some plants in the yard only to have the homeowner point out that
it's poison ivy!