Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs Jim Redelfs is offline

Default Most efficient water heater?

In article
,
" wrote:

geez my 50 gallon 75K BTU tank serves us very well, and frankly the
projected savings isnt worth the draw backs

I'm all with you on loyalty to a TANK water heater but would you please
check the tag on your heater. I would LOVE to have that sort of input
(ultra-high recovery!) on a "mere" 50-gallon tank. Looking around,
anything with that high of BTU requires a larger tank.

I replaced my heater a couple years ago with a new State Select 50-gal
with 40k BTU input. It works FINE. The only time I consider the waste
heat as truly wasted is when the air conditioning is running. I have a
bi-metal flue damper that addresses much, if not all, of the issue of
heat wasted up the flue.

As for the issue of waiting for hot water to arrive at the tap: There
is a wait interval for BOTH technologies, isn't there?
--

JR