Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default How to remove grout, separate old greenboard & mastic from tilefor re-use?

On Mar 15, 7:50 am, Doc wrote:
I've got a section of a shower stall that suffered from some water
seepage and want to re-use the tile. What's the best way to remove the
tile from the greenboard and also remove the old mastic to re-use the
tile?

Also, what's the best way to remove the old grout?

There are mastic removers that are citrus-based that will soften the
mastic without damaging the tile or you. I've never used the stuff,
but try some of the citrus-based hand cleaner. That'll probably work.

BTW, greenboard _and_ mastic in a shower is a _very_ bad idea. Either
one is bad, both together is simply nuts. You can pretty much count
on having to repair more of the shower stall. Sorry.