Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
charlie charlie is offline

Default How to remove grout, separate old greenboard & mastic from tile for re-use?

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Doc wrote:
I've got a section of a shower stall that suffered from some water
seepage and want to re-use the tile. What's the best way to remove the
tile from the greenboard and also remove the old mastic to re-use the
tile?

Also, what's the best way to remove the old grout?

The best way is to start over w/ new tile...

PITA job no matter what you do. For cleaning up tile for repair/reuse
I've had decent success w/ the wire wheel on the bench grinder after whack
off what can w/ the various putty knives, scrapers, etc., ...
--

i recently found that the side of a diamond cutoff blade in my 4" side
grinder takes off thinset on the back of tiles really well. wear dust

if it's really mastic in the OP case, then

a: you're not supposed to use greenboard in a shower
b: mastic can be removed with heat.

regards,
charlie