Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Don't upset the inspector

In article ,
"S. Barker" wrote:

bull

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news Non-permitted
"improvements" can decrease, rather than increase, the value of a home.

Yes, very insightful comment, my top-posting comrade. Maybe extension
cords embedded in plywood are fine where you live there in Shantytown,
Alabama, but in my world, even the real estate agents advise buyers to
stay away from non-permitted stuff.

Don't misinterpret my comments. I'm not a code-junkie, and I'm not a
permit junkie, and I have as much contempt for nonsense liability claims
as the next guy. I may not like it, but I respect the reality of our
so-called advanced civilization, with all its vagaries.

If a remodel or addition was done well and properly, the permit question
would never arise. If it's done poorly, the permit question is a huge
red flag, and absolutely reduces resale value. That's what "can" means,
and your bold proclamation of bull is, uh, bull.