Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Whole House Humidifier

On Mar 17, 8:47*am, wrote:
On Mar 17, 8:42*am, ransley wrote:

On Mar 16, 10:34*pm, "C. Bailey" wrote:

When it is warmer outside, my furnace doesn't run very much. *Will a whole
house humidifier attached to the furnace still do it's job?

Chris

As it warms up outside your humidity rises inside, a good humidistat
will tell you that. You may or may not need to add humidity.

As others have said, it's really intended to add heat when the furnace
is running with heat on. * If it's wired to the blower, it would add
some humidity if the blower runs without heat. *How much depends on
the type. *If it's one the most common and reliable types that rely on
evaporation, then it will add humidity with only the blower running,
but at a greatly reduced rate. * If it's one of the atomizing types,
not sure if they even still make them, then it will add water at the
same rate with just the blower.

In my experience, I've never seen a need for adding humidity without
the need for heat. * My humidifier doesn't come on until it's cold
enough to have the heat on quite a bit. * Which makes sense, because
it's when outside air gets heated that the relative humidity drops.

You also have to be careful not to add too much humidity, because that
can cause more problems, like mold and rot, than it cures.

Like if condensation forms on glass you have too much moisture as I do
without a humidifier at one location because of a too tight a house