Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Don't upset the inspector

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Mike Paulsen" wrote in message
Ask your insurance agent what happens if you have a loss which is somehow
related to work done which should have had a permit, but didn't.

When selling a house the purchase agreement may have an area where the
seller must specify any work which was done without a permit. What now?

I don't know of anyone that ever ran into those situations. Have you?

In the market for a rental now and I've walked away from several that
had "bonus rooms" that didn't look permitted. I don't generally live in
fear of liability issues, but I wouldn't take that one on. Non-permitted
"improvements" can decrease, rather than increase, the value of a home.

That isn't same as seller-declared unpermitted work, though, if read
literally, anyway.

Any shoddy workmanship can be a detriment of course.

Did you actually run into a situation where it was required to and was
be disclosed on the jurisdiction's disclosure forms to have been done
w/o permits?