Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default Is it water or oil based polyeurathane?

wrote:
That's my problem: the hardware store said I must not use water
based poly over oil based. I'd rather use water because I have
kids and the smell is a killer. Are you suggesting that there are
some water-based polys out there that can adhere to oil-based
finish?

Once dried it doesn't much matter what the vehicle of the original
coating was. Oil or water, it needs to be sanded prior to applying
another top coat of either oil or water poly.

Your real problem is that raw wood finished with oil poly will look
different from that finished with water poly. If it were me, I'd try
a bit of each on a small area adjacent to the existing finish, remove
the one that doesn't match (when dry) and refinish with the one that
did.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...