Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Water underneath attic vapour barrer. Need help

Jetmech wrote:

On Mar 16, 6:18 pm, wrote:

Or Stopped !!!

Thanks for all fo your input everyone. As I said earlier. There was
quit a lot of leakage through the shingles over the whole damaged
area. The wood wood roof panels were wet to the touch. If thats true
what was said about fibreglass insulation allowing water to penetrate
quickly, then all this may just make sense. I'm assuming the tar
paper will let the water through it eventually? I have loose fill
blown in over bats by the way

I know next to nothing about insulation (I know fiberglass when I see it
), but the idea of
water draining quickly through the insulation so that the top of the
layer feels dry would not
seem to apply to cellulose.........the vapor barrier is between the
ceiling and the insulation,
right? It doesn't make sense, to me, that moisture from the indoor
space would move through
the ceiling, through the v.b., and collect above the v.b.

Got soffits or open rafters? Any plumbing in the attic space? If the
insulation is real wet, and
the plaster is wet, I would be concerned about the added weight causing
it to fall down. Real
plaster? Any sags?

Another thought is whether wind driven rain might have added water in
addition to whatever
came from the ice dam. Had bad wind storms? Got plenty of ventillation
and ridge vents? It
would be worthwhile to have a couple of roofers look at it, get bids for
any needed repairs
and/or vents.