Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Water underneath attic vapour barrer. Need help

Jetmech wrote:

On Mar 16, 5:31 pm, wrote:

Do you have a ceiling exhaust fan ? If so , is it venting into your
attic or out the roof or eave vent ? If there is a fan exhausting or
even leaking into the attic , your pumping warm humid air into a cold
attic causing moisture . That is a no no ! If this isn't the problem ,
you either have a roof leak ( possibly ice damming ) or your house is
so tight you have a moisture problem . Humidifiers can cause this if
the house can't breathe . Just a couple sugestions to start
investigating . Hope it helps .

I think I hit the wrong post button. Anyway, what I was saying, is
that the water is under the barrier against the celing material. I
did have a lot of ice on the roof, so much that it had forced its way
under the shingles and made the wood panels wet. This however dried
up within two days of me clearing the ice. I'm so confused because
the insulation is not wet. It's only wet way down deep where it meets
the vapour barrier. I do have a vented microwave that goes out the
roof through the attic, but this duct is insualted.

Fiberglass insulation? If so, it seems it would be wet only on the
bottom of the layer, as water
drains quickly and the top of it would not feel wet. Sounds like you
had an ice dam that backed
up and dripped on the insulation. It would flow across the vapor barrier
and collect, seeping slowly
through seams and/or nail holes. Water could collect in the bottom of
the space for some time
before leaking through the barrier, and that would allow the upper
portion of the insulation to feel
dry. That is only my logic )

I had a similar backup, just from gutters being full of leaves
(Florida, no ice) and got a smaller wet spot on a ceiling.