Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Installing kitchen cabinets

RicodJour wrote:
On Mar 15, 9:26 am, "desgnr" wrote:
I want to put the cabinets on a stud wall covered with drywall.
What do i do with say a 15" wall cabinet,because the cabinet will only cover
1 stud.
What do i do in that case ( don't i need to support a cabinet on more than 1
stud ?

The other posters have covered the high points. Google 'french cleat
cabinet' to see another method - a hanging rail. That's the standard
European method, and what IKEA cabinets use. It does become an issue
if your cabinets weren't designed for a hanging rail - then the side
of the end cabinet can be seen to stand off from the wall. That can
be dealt with by using a filler strip, trim or a side panel.

They do it in Europe because the kitchen cabinets are considered
furniture, not fixtures- people commonly take them when they move, along
with any hanging light fixtures.

Cleats are fine, but if you have kids and/or earthquakes, I'd still run
a screw in here and there, to tie it all to the wall. A good temblor, or
a kid playing Superman standing on the counter, could lead to a tragedy.
An upper cabinet full of canned goods ain't light.

aem sends...