Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Shutting down a water heater for storage?

On Mar 16, 11:18*am, "
wrote:
My wife and I recently moved into a house that has two 50 gallon
electric water heaters. *They are about two years old. *As it is just
the two of us, I would like to turn one of them off and see if one
heater can meet our needs.

I figure I need to:

- shut off the cold water intake, outflow to the heater that will be
shut down
- shutoff the crossover valve that connects it to the other heater
will will leave in use
- drain the unused heater

Anything else I should do?

Thanks....

If they are hooked up so hot water from one goes into the other one
then only turn off the power on the first one and use it to temper
incomming water to the second one. Incomming water is colder than your
basement.