Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shutting down a water heater for storage?

On Mar 16, 12:21*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
wrote:
My wife and I recently moved into a house that has two 50 gallon
electric water heaters. *They are about two years old. *As it is just
the two of us, I would like to turn one of them off and see if one
heater can meet our needs.

I figure I need to:

- shut off the cold water intake, outflow to the heater that will be
shut down
- shutoff the crossover valve that connects it to the other heater
will will leave in use
- drain the unused heater

Anything else I should do?

Thanks....

Turn off the electric to the unused heater - running the elements
unsubmerged = fzzt.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel- Hide quoted text -

I would shut off the electric, then after it's cooled, shut off the
water lines and leave it full. At least until you decide that it
works for you, which I guess it should. After that, still not sure if
I would drain it as it going to be nearly impossible to get all the
water out anyway and a tank full of water is less likely to rust than
one with a little water and lots of air.