Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] cccgolluzram@sbcglobal.net is offline

Default Durock meets Greenboard seams / what to mud with ?

Never posted here before . I put new Durock up in the shower , the
rest of the bathroom is new Greenboard . What would you mud the seam
with - Thin set or Drywall Compound wherever the two meet ? Before you
answer , let me explain that the seams I am concerned with are where
the tile will end and transition to the painted walls .

Basically the seam would be under the bullnose tiles , but I am
worried that using the thinset will cause the mortar to be exposed too
far past the seam or bullnose tiles , into the painted area . If I use
joint compound at this seam , it wouldn't be directly affected by
water , but I worry that it is still too close to the wettest area .
From where the bullnose ends , I only have 2 inches to play with from
where the medicine recessed cabinet opening is and the bullnose ends .
Could I use the Joint compound or go with the thinset and make it
work ? The joint on the plumbing side is only 3 -4 inches outside the
tub . What's the best course to take . The old walls were all
greenboard under the tile with compounded joints under the tile .

Thanks - C. Marz