Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave[_23_] Dave[_23_] is offline

Default Carrier high-eff furnace exhaust fan screech

My 1992 Carrier 58SXc060 high-efficiency furnace has developed a screech
in the exhaust fan when it turns on. The screech goes away if you grab
the motor and lightly move it on its rubber-gasketed mount. This doesn't
permanently fix the problem, as the noise comes back on a subsequent
startup.

(This may not be relevant, but this problem developed 3 weeks after the
Carrier dealer replaced the secondary heat exchanger. This exchanger was
replaced under warranty; it is the part that has been the subject of
lawsuits and a pending nationwide settlement over corrosion. Mine had
not corroded, but its coating was peeling away, so I got a new one).

In talking to the dealer by phone about the new exhaust fan problem, the
dealer suggested that the entire motor/fan assembly may need to be
replaced for hundreds of dollars in parts/labor.

I do not think the motor itself is failing. Rather, it appears the
screech originates within the black plastic fan housing. Before I have a
repairman come, I would be grateful for any opinions from people who
have dealt with this problem. It has come up on this group before,
though the solution was never made clear.

Dave