Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Don't upset the inspector

clipped

As others have said, he should visit the county offices with a
humble attitude. A quick purchase of the permit, set up an
appointment to have it inspected, a minor walk-through to let
the inspector point out a few "areas of improvements," and your
friend will get to keep his new structure.

The Ranger

We had seawall work done because the yard was washing into the channel -
thirteen tiebacks
with concrete anchors. The concrete that is used under water. Permit,
drawings, whole nine
yards. Inspection when the holes were dug and rods in place. Red tag
because there happened
to be water in the hole when the inspector arrived (usually two high
tides per day, of course). My
hubby was bldg. mgr. for the condo, so we did just about everything
together and I was uaually
able to keep him out of trouble. The contractor called the inspector
back when there was no
water in the hole, laid off his crew for a full day as a result, got
approval and continued. I chatted with the inspector and
found out he was the same who passed our lousy reroof. The contractor
was a nice guy, good
to work with and did good work. I found out later there was also a $50
fee for the "red tag".
While I know some inspectors are scum, I have great respect for the
authority of the city
to require min. standards. Last year the idiot (unlicensed) upstairs
burned up some of our
wiring while remodeling without a permit. City didn't do squat. Yet.
Wonder if the prosecutor
would?