Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Don't upset the inspector

"DanG" wrote in message
A friend who shall remain nameless called. He lives in the county in a
different state. He launched into a small addition with no permit. He has
it framed and dried in. He received a letter from the county ordering him
to cease and desist. He called wondering what they can do to him if he
just keeps going.

I didn't really have an answer. I did tell him that if there was a need
for the electric company to do any work on the service, they would not
perform without permit approval. Other than that, what can they do? This
guy is a bit of a renegade. I explained about the yes, sir/no,sir - gee,
I'm sorry approach. He's headed a bit more along the my castle, my
kingdom, damn the torpedoes approach.

Yes that attitude always works well when dealing with city hall. NOT!!!!
They could revoke his certificate of occupancy making it impossible to sell
and possibly jeopardizing his current mortgage. After all if a bank is
holding the mortgage he is not really the true owner. If that property
suddenly becomes worthless he may not have a pot to....