Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default OK to air-nail 2x4s together on their flat faces?

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 16:16:44 -0700 (PDT), bryan
wrote:

Can I use an air-actuated framing nailer gun to nail parallel 2x4s
together?

I have a home business, and one of the tasks is to screw 2x4s together
to make one thick post. I spread glue on the 3.5" wide faces, then
clamp them together before fastening.

Instead of driving deck screws for fastening, I am curious if I can
use a pneumatic framing nailer.

Would I split the wood?

Sounds good. It doesn't matter much if screws or nails are used as
the wood glue will do most of the holding power. It is possible to
split the wood, especially near the end grain.