Posted to alt.home.repair
Puddin' Man Puddin' Man is offline

Default Water Heater and Wet Mystery

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 23:09:24 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

I think the unit is glass-lined. What happens when they fail?
What am I forgetting to check (for a leak)??

By glass lined, they mean it has a coating of a sprayed on frit, sort of
like porcelain pots and cookware and it is not very thick. Usually, they
rust from a crack and drip. Catastrophic failure in not common.

It's had a blanket around it for the last 5 years or so. I checked
for moisture around the bottom, didn't find any.

Could the pressure relief valve on either the water heater or a boiler have
popped? They sometimes get weak and drip after a number of years.

No boiler. The TPV looked fine and there was no moisture around the
bottom of the drain tube.

Thx,

"Blues starts to rolling ...
stops at my front do'.
I'm gonna change my way of livin' ...
won't have to worry no mo'."
- from "Blues Before Sunrise", Leroy Carr, maybe 1934