Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Min Height between range and Microwave hood?

Ken wrote:
Scott Townsend wrote:
So we bought a Microwave hood for the electric range.

Looked in the Manual and there does not seem to be a recommended
distance between the top of the range and the bottom of the microwave
hood.

Seems like I've seen a few at 17" though wanted to pass it by the
Authority here...

Thanks!

I just bought a smooth top range and this is what mine says:

Note: 24" min. when bottom of wood or
metal cabinet is protected by not less than
1/4" flame retardant millboard covered
with not less than No. 28 MSG sheet steel,
0.015" stainless steel, 0.024" aluminum or
0.020" copper.
30" min. clearance

I would look at your range manual for the installation section. Most
will tell you what a safe situation is.

More than just fire safety is at issue. Also need to consider how tall
the cook is, and the airflow for the exhaust fan built into the micro.
I'm 6'3", and have seen retrofits hung so low, that I would have to bend
over to look in a pot on the back burner of the range. Sometimes the
cabinet above stove has to be replaced with a shorter one (if that style
is still available), or a hardwood shelf, trimmed and finished to match.
(Or just write off that cabinet position, and fabricate a drywall or
metal soffit above.) One of those things that is a judgment call, and
you have to see the kitchen to decide.

But yeah, 24" is about as low as I would even think about going.

--
aem sends...