Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Engine hoist capacity

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 19:28:52 -0500, "S. Barker"
wrote:

better get some updated info on those weights. Unless you're running an
aluminum 4 cyl.

How much does a Chevy 327 weight with a bell housing and clutch - no
tranny.. 800#?

"big e lewis" wrote in message
I am building an engine hoist framework, to hang a chainfall. I will be
using it to pull and install engines and trans in my racecar and other
various vehicles. I planned on using 4x4's for the uprights and the top
crossboard. The crossboard, that the chainfall will hang from, will be
10' long. Is a 4x4 strong enough, or should I use a 4x6, or something
else entirely? I figure the engine/trans combos shouldn't be more than
700 or 800#. Plus maybe a momentary higher weight when a mount hangs up,
and the front of the car lifts up a little with the engine. Any
comments/thoughts are appreciated! Thanks, Big E