Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Fireplace damper won't shut

Hi! I have a steel fireplace, 29 years old, with a round metal
chimney and a metal damper. I've used it may be 50 times. Now I'm
having trouble shutting the damper.

And to a lesser extent, opening it. I can open it if I push harder
than I used to.

And I can shut it if I put my hand up inside a foot so that I can pull
the rod to the side while I'm pulling it down.

What can I do to make this work pretty smoothly, like it had before?

I had my furnace chimney cleaned a few years ago, and the sweep didn't
even suggest cleaning the fireplace chimney, and I didn't remember
until he was gone. They are the same size also!