Posted to alt.home.repair
12oon 12oon is offline

Default Adding Water to Geothermal Loop

On Mar 13, 9:51*am, dpb wrote:
12oon wrote:
What is involved in adding water to my geothermal loop?

Can I just hook up a garden hose or do I need to have instruments
involved gauging pressure etc.?

I have seen it done both ways by heat/air professionals.

First, why would/do you need to add? *There should be no need w/o a leak
so first need to find out where it's going.

Also, it's a glycol or other anti-freeze solution along w/ some other
conditioners so depending on how much, need appropriate additive(s) to
maintain proper freeze point, lubricity, corrosion inhibitors, etc., ...

IOW, its more than just adding tap water.

--

Yes, I believe there is a leak. It seems it has to topped off every
year.

The HVAC pros have never added any additive. I live in OK by the way.

I'm just trying to learn as much as possible about the unit.