Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking,sci.chem,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Removing non-stick coating to salvage a pan?

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 07:50:09 -0700 (PDT), Sheldon
wrote:

pltrgyst wrote:
Cape Cod Bob wrote:
Non stick pans have a definite place in t he kitchen - crepe pans for
example.

There is no reason to prefer non-stick for crepes. You might note that there are
no non-stick commercial crepe makers. All I do on my commercial crepe makers is
use clarified butter, and there is never the slightest sticking or build-up.

However, Non stick woks do not.

I would point out that no less a chef than Ming Tsai often uses a non-stick wok.

FoodTV personalities cook whatever and with whatever their sponsors
(the people who pay them) mandate. Professional kitchens are nothing
like FoodTV cartoon kitchens.

My wife is a working cook (her management calls her a "chef" but she
calls herself a cook) and always gets a laugh when she see TV chefs
wearing kitchen-unsuitable "chef costumes."
Especially those with long and wide sleeves designed to pick up
everything they flap against.

--Vic