Posted to alt.home.repair
cavedweller cavedweller is offline

Default What bait to use in mousetraps?

On Mar 8, 1:54 pm, Steve wrote:
Skewer a plastic jar and lid (maybe a peanut butter jar) on a bent
wire coat hanger to make a spinning "log".

I swear by this method! We have a summer getaway out in the boonies
and there's usually no shortage of the little sob's there. The
problem with individual traps is when they go off with or without a
victim, its useless until reset. These dunk buckets work until the
heard either wises up (hasn't happened yet) or decimates (yes!)...
The buckets tend to get a little stinky if you don't clean them out
every couple days but other than that they just plain work
beautifully! when I first tried one after one night I had at least a
dozen drownings by morning. I put one inside our shack. I have
another outside. Now I have usually been lucky to get a couple in the
outside bucket and it's been rare to get even one inside. Try it!

Steve

I'd rather have a smelly few in a pail than a smelly couple in spring
traps or worse, "somewhere" in the house after expiring from eating
poisoned bait. Disposal outside in a patch of bush is easy and
there's no danger that scavengers will consume any remnants of the
poison.
I've actually heard my setup go off in the night and checked to find a
swimmer.