Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Steve is offline

Default What bait to use in mousetraps?

Skewer a plastic jar and lid (maybe a peanut butter jar) on a bent
wire coat hanger to make a spinning "log".
Bend the coat hanger to position the log over the center of a wide
mouth bucket that contains a couple of inches of water. *Smear a ring
of peanut butter around the diameter of the log in the middle (smear
it evenly so the log still spins).
Put the whole thing where the mice can get to the top of the bucket
and wait.
Nothing like seeing a mouse swimming in the bottom of the bucket.
I've even had doubles.

I swear by this method! We have a summer getaway out in the boonies
and there's usually no shortage of the little sob's there. The
problem with individual traps is when they go off with or without a
victim, its useless until reset. These dunk buckets work until the
heard either wises up (hasn't happened yet) or decimates (yes!)...
The buckets tend to get a little stinky if you don't clean them out
every couple days but other than that they just plain work
beautifully! when I first tried one after one night I had at least a
dozen drownings by morning. I put one inside our shack. I have
another outside. Now I have usually been lucky to get a couple in the
outside bucket and it's been rare to get even one inside. Try it!

Steve