Posted to alt.home.repair
S. Barker S. Barker is offline

Default Roofing Question

I'd suggest you need a wider strip of galv. Maybe a foot wide. We've got
the problem pretty bad here on the north sides, and whereever theres a big
flashing, there's no black below.

"JimR" wrote in message

Been there, done that -- South Florida's heat/humidity overpowers the zinc
strips. Instead of having solid mold/mildew you get mold/mildew with
streaks.

I'd suggest that unless you have a HOA that's uptight about mildew on
roofs, you just accept it as a fact of life and let the GAF shingles do
whatever they're capable of. IMHO, over the course of years you'll have
more shingle damage from walking around on it spraying chemicals than if
you just let it age gracefully -- especially true for others with concrete
or barrel tile roofs.