Posted to alt.home.repair
Dottie Dottie is offline

Default Roofing Question

I live in FL where algae growing on the roof is a big problem. When I
had a tile roof I had it sprayed every year with some kind of
mildewcide....a man comes around and does several houses in the
neighborhood. Last June I got a new GAF ultra Timberline shingle roof
that is supposed to be pre-treated with some kind of chemical to keep
algae from growing. So, when the man came around I said I wouldn't be
needing the treatment anymore. He said the stuff that was used to pre-
treat roofs didn't really help and I should go ahead and let him treat
mine. I didn't .. because I was afraid it might affect the warranty.
I called the contractor who said I didn't need anything else and I e-
mailed GAF while waiting to hear from contractor. Haven't heard back
from them.

Thing is, there are several houses around me who have newish roofs -
older than mine but not a lot older - and they are beginning to show
dark spots in places. Now I am wondering if I should call the guy
back and have him treat my roof before I get spots ... Anybody know
whether the GAF anti-fungal properties really work or not? Thanks.