Posted to sci.electronics.repair
A. Kay A. Kay is offline

Default PTC Thermistor for nicad battery pack

Thanks for the advice. My device looks nothing like the thermal protector
in the pdf. Mine looks similar to an epoxy coated tantalum capacitor. So,
this thermal switch might be a viable replacement. Do you know of a
supplier?

"Ross Herbert" wrote in message
On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 06:36:34 GMT, "A. Kay" wrote:

:I am looking for a PTC thermistor, epoxy coated with approximately these
:characteristics:
:6.8k ohm at 45 degrees celsius
:
:I have an old nicad battery pack with a thermistor that failed during
:charging and one of the battery cells split along with the thermistor.
The
:thermistor is inside the battery pack and connected in series with the
:charging circuit. The numbers on the thermistor are 6K8K. After
searching
:the internet I deduced that the numbers meant 6.8K ohm with 10 percent
:tolerance. The 45 degrees celsius was the upper recommended
:charging/operating temperature for the batter pack stated in the manual.
:
:I took the battery pack to a Batteries Plus to rebuild it and their
:suppliers could not find a replacement. I figured that this thermistor
isn't
:that unusual.
:
:Maybe someone can suggest a replacement, at least an electronics store
that
:I can buy only one or two and not a hundred.
:

Most battery packs I have opened don't use a thermistor, they use a
thermal
protector switch.

http://www.sensata.com/files/battery-4mm.pdf

If it looks like the ones in the pdf then it isn't a thermistor. Find a
supplier
for the Klixon/Sensata device and use that.