Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking,sci.chem,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Lou Decruss[_2_] Lou Decruss[_2_] is offline

Default Removing non-stick coating to salvage a pan?

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 17:56:23 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Lou Decruss" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 18:00:11 -0500, Peter A
wrote:

Soap does not - repeat, DOES NOT - remove seasoning from cast iron when
used properly.

Exactly!

So many people get all silly about cleaning cast iron.

My favorite example of silliness is using salt. I tried it once and
found it useless.

That's the only way I clean my cast iron pan.

As I said, I have more than one.

I use coarse kosher salt and a
paper towel. I only use the pan for eggs, and always at medium heat levels,
so stuff never gets REALLY stuck on.

I use some of mine at heat levels that would immediately destroy
non-stick.

Salt works fine.

So does soap.

Lou