Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking,sci.chem,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Kenneth Kenneth is offline

Default Removing non-stick coating to salvage a pan?

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 11:45:37 -0600, Lou Decruss
wrote:

My favorite example of silliness is using salt. I tried it once and
found it useless.

I have 2 cast iron pans each about a decade old. They have great
seasoning, and I regularly clean them with a weak detergent solution and
a soft brush.

Howdy,

Yes, silliness abounds...

I know that I am about to tread on religious matters, but
here goes:

I've used cast iron happily for about 50 years, but have
always thought the whole seasoning thing to be, well, (for
want of a better word), silly.

In terms of sticking, I could not detect a difference
between a brand new, unseasoned pan, and one that I had
carefully seasoned for years.

Then, a few years ago, Consumer's Reports tested cast iron
cookware.

Among other aspects of their testing, they asked staff
members to contact elderly relatives to see if they could
find generations old, super-well seasoned pans, for
comparison.

As has been my experience, they could detect no difference
between those, and brand new off the shelf un-seasoned pans.

All the best,
--
Kenneth