Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking,sci.chem,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default Removing non-stick coating to salvage a pan?

On Mar 4, 10:21�am, Doc wrote:
I've got this wok from WalMart that's coated with Xylan, which I
gather is a first cousin of Teflon. �Big mistake. It's non-stick
properties aren't very good.

I don't like the idea of simply throwing it out and dumping more money
into a non-coated wok. I'm sure I could strip the coating off with one
of these fibrous abrasive wheels that you bolt onto a hand drill -
wearing a dust mask of course - but is the surface that's exposed
going to be suitable for cooking? Wondering if there's some pre-
treating that's done to the metal that might render it toxic if used
as a cooking surface.

Further, should it be possible to thoroughly remove all the coating
abrasively like that? Obviously I don't want to leave behind small
particles since I assume it's toxic.

You bought a Chinese wok knock off... Hunka Junk!

Real Chinese woks are cheap, need I say more.

Were I in the market for a wok I'd try this:
http://www.wokshop.com/HTML/products...-hammered.html