Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking,sci.chem,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Lou Decruss[_2_] Lou Decruss[_2_] is offline

Default Removing non-stick coating to salvage a pan?

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 21:36:18 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

Peter A wrote:

How are you "cleaning" it? Wiping it out with a paper towel should
be sufficient. Do not ever subject an iron utensil (or maybe your
skillet) to water.

Water is not the problem, as long as you dry it after rinsing. I set
it on the still hot burner after rinsing. I never use soap on my
cast iron. I put a little hot water in it, scrub with a brush, rinse
and dry it on the burner. Then I rub it with a little oil or butter
before the next use. Soap will quickly remove the seasoning.

I have 2 cast iron pans each about a decade old. They have great
seasoning, and I regularly clean them with a weak detergent solution
and a soft brush.

Why?

Prove why soap shouldn't be used.

Lou