Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking,sci.chem,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Robert Allison[_2_] Robert Allison[_2_] is offline

Default Removing non-stick coating to salvage a pan?

HeyBub wrote:

Robert Allison wrote:

The problem is that the metal is very prone to rusting, so I have
to oil it after every cleaning, and temper it like a cast iron
pan. Since I mostly use it on a fish fryer grill (although I
will use it on the stove), it has held up pretty well. It ain't
pretty by any means, but useful.

How are you "cleaning" it? Wiping it out with a paper towel should be
sufficient. Do not ever subject an iron utensil (or maybe your skillet) to
water.

Don't wash wooden salad bowls either.

I use a combination of methods to clean it. Usually by pouring
some water in it when it is hot and letting it boil for a minute
or so, then wiping it out and oiling it. When it has been in the
cabinet for a while, I take a paper towel and wipe out the rust
and then oil it, but sometimes the rust is too bad, so I have to
use an SOS pad and some water, then oil, then seasoning.

Being as this is not a standard wok, but one that has had the
teflon removed, it is way more prone to rusting than a standard
(real) wok. For example, I can season it, oil it and put it in
the cabinet. After 2or 3 weeks, it will be rusted (high humidity
here).

That is why I warned the OP about it. My other woks do not do
this, but none of them are as big as this one.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.