Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_2_] HeyBub[_2_] is offline

Default Need advice on changing socket in light on ceiling fan

Greg Bailey wrote:
Got a small ceiling fan with light in our kitchen ... socket has gone
kaput, you can visibly see scorching inside, fan still works though
... it's a small socket with pull cord, not one of those real tiny
2-watters, it takes full-size bulbs, we use 60-watt bulbs in it ...
we've checked at Lowe's and they have a similar socket ... however,
our socket has three wires running to it; the socket at Lowe's has
places for only two wires to connect ... guy at Lowe's said "it's
probably a ground wire, just connect the hot wires up and see what
happens" and I said, "Uh, no thank you" ... what do we need to do
here, can a socket with two connections work, if so how do we make it
work ... is one with three connections available or do we just need
to get an entire new unit? Thanks in advance for any help.

It's probably just a ground wire, just connect the hot wires up and see what
happens.