Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking,sci.chem,misc.consumers.frugal-living
PaPaPeng PaPaPeng is offline

Default Removing non-stick coating to salvage a pan?

On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 20:38:21 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 11:37:15 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

let the 4-leg use this worn pan as a drinking bowl

SWMBO would kill me - not because I let the dog drink out of a pan,
but because I tried to give her dog cancer.

She's convinced that any and all non-stick surface coatings are toxic.

Listen to her

(ever buy a pet bowl with Teflon?)

Even better: In some Chinese restaurants, you can see the kitchen. Ever
seen a non-stick wok in a place like that?

Of course not.

A polymer coating would never survive the frequent stabbling with a
wok spatula that goes with Chinese cooking.

I am amazed so many white folks use the wok. I'd use one too except I
have an electric range. It uses up too much power to get the wok to
temperature and that heat is concentrated on the bottom only.

Only a gas range or open fire does a wok justice. Use an uncoated
heavy iron or steel wok. It holds and distributes the heat to provide
a better heat gradient from the center to the rim, sort of like why
people prefer to use a cast iron skillet to bring out the best
flavoring and texture. To clean empty the wok and add a cup of water
to heat over the range. Swirl the boiling water to dissolve the
residual food. Chinese restaurants use a stiff bamboo whisk to
unstick food morsels. Its unlikely you can use a whisk in a home as
the whisk will flick dirty water outside the sink. A few quick
swipes with a souring pad should suffice. Repeat. Rinse each time.
Wipe with a paper towel and "burn" off the remaining rinse water
adhering to the wok over the range. In an iron wok the residual heat
is often enough to vaporize that dampness.