Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default Need advice on changing socket in light on ceiling fan

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 13:21:09 -0600, "Greg Bailey"
wrote:

Got a small ceiling fan with light in our kitchen ... socket has gone kaput,
you can visibly see scorching inside, fan still works though ... it's a
small socket with pull cord, not one of those real tiny 2-watters, it takes
full-size bulbs, we use 60-watt bulbs in it ... we've checked at Lowe's and
they have a similar socket ... however, our socket has three wires running
to it; the socket at Lowe's has places for only two wires to connect ... guy
at Lowe's said "it's probably a ground wire, just connect the hot wires up
and see what happens" and I said, "Uh, no thank you" ... what do we need to
do here, can a socket with two connections work, if so how do we make it
work ... is one with three connections available or do we just need to get
an entire new unit? Thanks in advance for any help.

Two wires will work just fine. First turn OFF the circuit and check
to make sure it is off and stays off until the wiring is completed.
Connect the black (hot) wire to the brass screw. This contacts the
small round contact on the end of the light bulb. Connect the white
(neutral) wire to the silver screw. Make sure there are no stray
strands sticking out and check for tight connections. If there are no
screws but wires from the socket use wire nuts to make your
connections. Fold the bare copper (ground) wire up and tuck it out of
the way.