Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

Default DIY HVAC Zoning?

Bubba writes:

self-snips

If anyone's done their own zoning on a forced-air system,
I'd be interested in hearing your experiences, suggestions,
and recommended DIY-friendly HVAC suppliers.

Thanks in advance,

Frank

Not to get all over you but it works this way:
If it sounds to good to be true ($700-$800).....
it probably is ($7k)

Maybe you missed a few items...

- That's PARTS ONLY that I obtain (CPU, stats, dampers), I do the 2-3 days labor and
dialing in... (And oh yes, I know the building well -- I designed it, had it built,
but did all the electrical and was on site everyday. Short-sighted at the time, I
declined a 6 zone system and settled for two, one of which handles the rooms in
questions. Live and learn.g)

- I don't have a massive regional radio ad and marketing campaign to pay for in that
parts budget, nor is there a home office and staff to fund. I don't at all begrudge
their asking $7K, it's just that I'm willing to investigate this further on my own,
given that I have some appitude for this stuff.

After you replace a few compressors, fan motors and blower wheels,
along with a multitude of other problems with the system never working
right, refrigerant leaks and ridiculous energy bills, you might begin
to understand that "Zoning" aint for the average joe.

Well, not exactlty an average joe... extensive background with several kinds of
engineering, and a lot of practical DIY experience across many areas (including
being a multi-unit landlord for many years) -- enough overall experience to know
that each trade has its interesting twists and that it's good to get as many data
points as possible.

So why a compressor failure? Blower & fan failures? Would that be due to no anti
slump? Coil freeze? Too much back pressure?

I hope I addressed those concerns by getting a smart enough CPU that will either
"baby" the compressor or could have "events" added to its program so that the system
would be treated gently.

Not sure why the energy bill would be higher... Can you give me more background on
that one?

Thanks for your reply, and any added advice you might have.

Frank