Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis Chris Lewis is offline

Default Rotary phase converter: local ground or all the way to the panel?

According to :
In alt.engineering.electrical Chris Lewis wrote:
| According to :
| In alt.engineering.electrical rpseguin wrote:
|
| | I'm just renting the house, which, by the way, doesn't have any
| | grounded outlets other than a couple of GFIs in the bathrooms.
| | The landlord did put 3 prong grounded receptacles in, even though
| | there's no ground wires in any of them.
|
| They don't make very many 2-prong ungrounded GFCI receptacles, even
| though such things would work and can even do a self-test without a
| ground wire.
|
| True. But to clarify: three prong GFCI receptacles that aren't grounded
| are legal. Ungrounded three prong outlets _downstream_ of a GFCI are
| also legal (as a retrofit), as long as you use the stickers saying
| "ungrounded outlet" on them.

How about one of those grounded plug adapters ... the kind where you have
3 holes on one end to plug in a grounded plug, and only 2 prongs on the
other end to plug into a legacy 2-hole no-ground outlet ... that integrates
GFCI protection as part of the adapter? I've seen GFCI cord sets, but only
with a grounded plug. How about with an ungrounded plug?

I'm not absolutely certain of the full nuances[+] of "plug connected device"
w.r.t. CEC or NEC, but strictly speaking I don't think NEC or CEC
applies in this case.

_However_, UL and CSA do. In particular, 2 two pin to 3 socket
adapter (without GFCI) will not pass CSA, and is illegal to offer
for sale in Canada. I do not believe such a device will pass UL
either, but UL doesn't have power-of-law as CSA (or legislatively
equivalent) does in Canada.

Conversely, if it has non-fraudulent UL or CSA markings on it,
it will be legal unless overruled by local ordinance.

[+] I'm meaning edge-cases here. 2-3 plug adapters that simply
make the third pin connect via pigtail to the outlet cover screw
are illegal and covered by both NEC and CEC I believe. As the ground
wire is screwed on, I think they're considered "permanent wiring".
Or something. I dunno for sure. They're certainly illegal in Canada
because they won't be granted CSA approval.
--
Chris Lewis,